.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Continuous Train of Thought

terra | words in formation | ttmml | shutterbug | ab fan page



Thursday, December 08, 2005

Mind meme

A friend sent this to me:
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
As I read it I thought it was pretty amazing that my mind could actually make sense of the words that were "spelled" incorrectly. Curious about the research that was done at Cambridge University, I decided to do a little research myself. I found a webpage developed by Matt Davis who supposedly works at Cambridge University's Cognitive and Brain Science Unit. The web address and email addresses look legit. On the webpage Mr. Davis tries to explain the science behind this meme.

Also, he links to a CGI script that automatically jumbles words. Try it out--->Text Jumbler by Steve Sachs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home