.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Continuous Train of Thought

terra | words in formation | ttmml | shutterbug | ab fan page



Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Second Chances

Today I gave Japanese food a second chance. Many moons ago I tried Japanese food and did not like it at all! I was sick for hours afterwards. Over the years I would nibble a piece here and there to "make sure" that it was still gross. However, today I threw caution to the wind and went to lunch with my co-workers. I must say that I would not have gone if a male co-worker, who is the pickiest eater ever, had not convinced me that this restaurant was the best. So off we went. The entire drive there (if I wasn't on the phone) I kept thinking about how nasty all the other Japanese food I had was. In fact I almost bailed a few times, opting for Chik-fil-a instead, but I forged ahead.

When I arrived the smell was reminiscent of my sick day and made my stomach churn. We were seated at a hibachi grill, mind you I've never been seated at a hibachi grill, so I'm eager for the "show" I've been told that the chef performs. While waiting for our drinks my co-worker begins to coach me on the menu. After heavy debate I decide on the Filet Mignon, onion soup, and fried rice, NO VEGGIES.

The onion soup was promptly brought out. Hesitantly, I dipped my spoon into the warm tea colored liquid and tasted it. To my surprise it was very good. It didn't taste like onions at all, it tasted like mushrooms. Now a bit braver, I decided to sample some of the appetizers that are being passed around; after all it was a free lunch. Hmm...I failed to mention that, didn't I? Anyway, a plate of spring rolls was stuck under my nose and I took one of the rolls and dipped it into the sweet sauce. YUCK! I retreated to my onion soup. Next, a plate of grilled chicken on a stick came around. This looked harmless, so I gave it a try. It was pretty good, not at all nasty.

Mind you, all this time the chef is doing his show with the spinning utensils and the tossing of food in folks mouths, there was even big flames! It was quite entertaining. He began cooking our rice and cutting up meat and pouring sauces and a gazillion other things at once. There were 3 sauces, mustard sauce, ginger sauce and seafood sauce. My trusty co-worker says go with the ginger sauce. My boss says the mustard sauce is the best. Well it turns out I liked the seafood sauce the best, although all 3 sauces were good. I dipped my rice in each, with my chopsticks by the way, and nibbled away.

My confidence had returned and I decided to give the spring roll another chance. The second time was much better. I took a larger bite with a piece of shrimp. I decided it really wasn't that yucky. For the grand finale the chef flipped and chopped our steaks. It was phenomenal! The steak was the best part of the meal to me and the seasonings were delicious.

I guess this story has a point...sometimes you need to give things a second chance.

2 Comments:

  • LOL at your experience. Japanese food is FANTASTIC!!! It's one of our favorites. You should start off with more Americanized (and cooked) choices, like the hibachi that you tried, noodles, and easier-on-the-palette Californian rolls. Oh, and I think you'll get a kick out of the concept of conveyor belt sushi, even though you may be hesitant to try the sushi itself.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:57 AM  

  • YAY! I'm so glad you gave it a second chance! We are going to Surin now for sure!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home